St. James’s Library

William Collins & Sons (London, Glasgow, UK)
Series dates: 1950-1954
Size: 5.25″ x 8″

Collins used the St. James’s Library name on a series for a short time in the 1920s. Chatto & Windus also used the name for a series of non fiction titles around 1929. The name was revived for a series of full size reprints they began to issue in 1950.

stjames_logo

“Usually fiction,” as the dust jacket describes the series. The series was advertised in the London Times in October of 1950 with the initial six titles:

st_james_lib_ad_Times_London_Oct23_1950 copy

Prices were advertised as 6s. for fiction and 8s. 6d for non fiction. The series added titles (about 12 total) through about 1952, and redesigned the jackets, but no titles were issued beyond 1952.

Jackets are common to the series, indicate the series name and summarize the book on the jacket flap. The series number is on the spine. This copy of Winifred Holtby’s South Riding is dated 1950.

stjames_djfront

The rear jacket flap includes a brief biography of the author. The series is advertised on the back jacket cover, including forthcoming titles that were not published (according to WorldCat).

stjames_djback

Bindings are cloth with gold stamping.

stjames_bind

The half title page includes the series and series number.

stjames_halftit

The series titles are listed facing the tile page.

stjames_tit

Printing date and original publication date are included on the copyright page.

stjames_copyr