Greenburg, Publisher (New York, US)
Series dates: 1926
Size: 5.25″ x 7.5″
Founded in 1924, Jacob W. Greenburg’s publishing company was bought out by the Chilton Book Company in 1958. In 1926 Greenburg published the first 6 titles in the Rogues’ Bookshelf. At least one more title (Defoe’s The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders) was published that year, but no additional titles followed.
The publisher seems to have had high hopes for the series, with a series editor, new introductions, a series introduction by Carl Van Doren, and series colophon by a young Boris Artzybasheff. The books are nicely bound and designed with heavy, linen paper end-papers and rough cut pages.
This copy of Nashe’s The Unfortunate Traveller (1926 first printing in the series) has an introduction by Samuel Chew. The series name is on the front and spine of the roguishly red dust jacket, and a relatively long series prospectus on the front jacket flap.
The titles published are on the back of the jacket. Only the Defoe title seems to have been published despite the long list of titles in preparation on the rear jacket flap.
Bindings are in cloth with overlapping contrasting cloth. The series title and book title are printed on paper glued to the book spine.
The half-title page also includes the rogue logo.
The series editor, Ernest Brennecke, Jr. is listed with the initial six titles in the series facing the title page.
The copyright (and printing) date are on the copyright page.